The following instructions apply to all permit applications:
- Contractors must register with the Building Department prior to starting work.*
- Permits must be approved and acquired prior to starting any work.*
- Permit applications must be completed in their entirety where applicable.
- All permits must be displayed in a place that is easily visible from the street.
- Contractor(s) must call for inspections 24 hours in advance as the project progresses. Addresses and permit numbers must be supplied when requesting an inspection.
- Once a final inspection has been completed and approved, the permit may be removed from its place.
Fees are assessed per ordinance C.O. 185.04 & 185.05. The City of Parma Treasury Department can accept cash, checks or Visa or MasterCard. (There is a 2% charge for using a credit card.) Checks must be made out for the exact fee amount and payable to the City of Parma. No credit or refund can be given for incorrect calculations regarding a building project fee. A permit will be issued only when the full and correct amount is paid.
* Pursuant to City of Parma Codified Ordinance No. 1505.15 entitled "Permits Required; Surcharges" proper permits must be approved and released prior to the performance of any work. Also, pursuant to City of Parma Codified Ordinance No. 1501.15, if construction work is started without obtaining the proper and necessary permits, an administrative penalty fee of $100.00 for the first offense, $300.00 for the second offense and $500.00 for the third offense shall be assessed and paid as part of the permit fees. Pursuant to the City of Parma Codified Ordinance No. 1501.37 entitled "Contractor Registration" all contractors working in the City of Parma must be registered with the Building Department prior to performing any work. Cost of registration is $250.00 if the work is begun before finalizing registration.
Documents are in Adobe PDF format. You will need the free Adobe Reader Software to view these documents. You can download Adobe Reader by clicking here.
- Plan Examination Application fee of $60.00 for the first sign and $20.00 for each additional sign (+ 3% obbs fee) upon submittal of application.
- Two copies of scale drawings and Cross Sections must be submitted.
- Dimensional plot plan (for free standing sign).
- Elevation drawing & detailed drawing to include structural, anchorage and wind load.
- Electrical drawing and permit application.
- Type of material.
- Approval of testing agency and number.
- Identification of person erecting the sign. Upon submission of the construction
- Drawing including the above information, your documents will be sent to the Plans Examiner and Building Commissioner for review.
- Permit fee for sign advised upon approval.
Residential Additions/Alterations (Handicapped Ramp)
- If a contractor is being used, he/she must apply for the permit.
- Two sets of structural drawings must accompany application. Drawings must include structural, electrical, plumbing & heating plans. A partial plan exam fee of $35.35 must be submitted with application.
- After permit has been reviewed by the plans examiner and approved by the Building Commissioner, the fees will be assessed and applicant will be called regarding the fees and the pickup of the permit.
Commercial Additions/Alterations Permit Application
- May require Planning Commission approval, please contact the Building Department for instruction at (440) 885-8030.
- A $206.00 partial plan exam fee payable upon submission of plan review request.
- Three sets of architecturally stamped and sealed plans must accompany application.
- After permit has been reviewed by Plans Examiner and approved by the Building Commissioner, the remaining fees will be assessed and applicant will be called regarding the fees.
- After inspection has passed, permit may be removed from the front window and a certificate of use and occupancy will be issued.
Driveways, Garage Base, Aprons, Sidewalks, Yardwalks, Patios & Parking Lots
A waiting period of 24-48 hours before the application is approved.
Garage & Garage Wreck Permit Application
Building a Residential Garage
- The size of garage is determined by size of lot. Please contact the Building Department for permitted size at (440) 885-8030.
- If a contractor is being used, contractor must be registered with the City of Parma and shall apply for the permit. If a homeowner is building the garage, he/she will apply for a “Homeowner’s Permit”.
- Two sets of drawings must accompany the application, along with partial plan exam fee of $15.15.
- After the plans have been reviewed and signed by the Building Commissioner, fees will be assessed and applicant will be notified.
Residential Garage Wreck
- If a contractor is being used, contractor must be registered with the City of Parma. And shall apply for the permit. If a homeowner is wrecking an existing garage, he/she will apply for a “Homeowner’s Permit”.
- There is a $75.75 fee (which includes O.B.B.S. fee.)
- All debris must be removed from the site.
Accessory Buildings (shed, gazebo, dog run, etc.)
- The size of the shed is determined by lot size. Please contact the Building Department for permitted size at (440) 885-8030.
- If a contractor is being used, he/she must be registered with the City of Parma and apply for the permit. If a homeowner is building the shed, he/she will apply for a “Homeowner’s Permit”.
- Two sets of drawings and materials list must accompany application. (If shed is purchased from a store, they can provide these.) A partial plan exam fee of $10.10 must accompany application submittal.
- After the application has been reviewed by the plans examiner and approved by the Building Commissioner, the fees will be assessed and applicant will be called regarding the fees and the pickup of the permit.
- Refer to instructions that apply for Commercial Additions/Alterations
New Residential/Commercial Structure
- Contractors and sub-contractors must be registered with the City of Parma. A $202.00 partial plan review fee must be submitted for new structures along with the application.
- Two sets of structural plans and 6 topographic survey sheets are to be submitted with the application. Plans must include mechanical, electrical, plumbing and heating.
- Upon submittal, contractor will obtain a posting card for the property from the Building Department.
- Review Process averages around 4 to 6 weeks.
- After approval, all fees will be assessed and the contractor will be called for permit pick up.
- Separate permits for new residential structures include all electrical, mechanical permits, sewer, heating, plumbing & etc.
- All permits must have been issued before a final occupancy permit can be issued.
- New Commercial structures must have preliminary Planning Commission approval. (Application for the Planning Commission is made to the Planning Commission Secretary.)
- A partial Plan Review fee of $309.00 is required on submission of a Plan Review and application. Three sets of architecturally stamped and sealed plans must accompany application.
- Plan review may take up to 3 weeks. Applicant will be notified if additional information is required to process his/her plans.
- Upon final approval, all fees will be assessed and contractor will be notified. Any additional requirements for release (street bonds, sub-contractor list & etc.) will be indicated at the time of the General Contractor notification.
- Heating, plumbing and electrical permits are not included with the main permit and must be pulled by the individual contractors.
- All permits must be on file before inspection is done. If occupancy inspection fails, all corrections must be made and another inspection done. There is a $200.00 fee payable at the final occupancy inspection. Upon final approval and completion of all inspections and paperwork, an Occupancy Permit will be issued.
Residential Rental Property Registration
- A separate application and fee is required for each residential rental property owned in the City of Parma.
- A fee of $150.00 must be submitted with each application. Checks should be made payable to the City of Parma.
- Late fees of $50 per month will be assessed for failure to complete and pay Rental Registration by the due date.
Notification of Foreclosure Filing
- A fee of $100.00 for a residential property (one-, two-, or three-family structure) or $300.00 for a commercial structure must be submitted along with application.
Vacant Residential Property Registration
- A fee of $200 must be submitted along with the application.
- A Building Plan letter must also be submitted indicating plans for the first year of vacancy.
- If the property remains vacant for a second year without a Building Plan letter being completed, an additional fee of $350 will be required to be submitted along with the registration form and letter.
- If the property remains vacant for a third year without a Building Plan letter, an additional fee of $750 will be required to be submitted along with the registration form and letter.
Vacant Commercial Property Registration
- A fee of $200.00 must be submitted for the first year of vacancy along with the registration form and a vacant building plan.
Annual Certificate of Multiple Dwelling Registration
Multiple Dwelling Registrations due in Building Department by May 31st.
- An application form must be submitted for each building posessing a separate legal address.
- A fee of $100 for mixed use buildings and apartment buildings containing one (1) to four (4) suites (including those suites occupied by the owner, custodian or resident manager or model suites) must be submitted along with the application.
- The fee for properties consisting or more dwelling units is $20 per suite and will not exceed the amount of $1,000.
- Applicant must fill out an application, showing a site plan on the application where he/she intends to install the fence.
- Homeowner must submit with application either a State Registered Surveyor’s boundary line survey (not a mortgage survey) of his/her property or indicate in space provided on his/her application that consent has been obtained from neighbors. The Building Department will only accept the original signed copy of the fence application.
- After the building commissioner has approved the plans, the applicant will be notified of the fees.