You are here: Home > Departments > Safety


The Safety Department consists of the Police Department, Fire Department, Parma Regional Dispatch Center and Building Department. The Safety Department is also responsible for traffic signal management and animal control.

Residents who have non-emergency complaints regarding unkept property, parking violations, motorists disregarding stop signs and exceeding speed limits on residential streets, missing street signs and malfunctioning traffic or pedestrian signals should file their complaints on the Resident Services portal or call 440-885-8083. Complaints are sent to Safety, which then assigns them to the appropriate department for handling.

Under certain circumstances, residents may request special permission for short-term on-street parking. Safety also administers hardship exceptions to the winter parking ban. All requests for on-street parking exceptions must be made to Safety for review.

Additionally, residents may request from Safety permission to leave trash on the tree lawn previous to the regular rubbish collection day for items such as refrigerators (doors must be removed), stoves or other bulk items.

Neighborhoods organizing block parties in the warm weather months need permission to close the street during the block party hours. Prior to the party, a letter must be submitted to Safety with the block party date and time, the street name, area of the street that will be blocked and a name and phone number of a contact person. In addition, a petition signed by the majority of residents on the street agreeing to closure on the block party date must be submitted.  

Permits the Safety Department Issues

Charitable Games or Games of Chance Permit
A nonprofit or charitable organization holding a Vegas Night,  Night at the Races or game-of-chance event must obtain a permit. The nonprofit organization can hold up to two events per year. The facility where the event is taking place can hold up to four of these types of events per year.

Garage Sale Permits
Residents are entitled to three permits a year for a period of three consecutive days (Sundays prohibited) on each permit.

Itinerant Vendor
An individual who wants to sell products at a stand outside a building on commercial property must obtain a permit.

Parade Permit
Any organization sponsoring a parade on city streets must obtain a parade permit.

Picnic Permit
An organization that is sponsoring a picnic at one of the halls or picnic areas within the city must obtain a permit.

Solicitor Permit
An individual who wants to solicit business in a residential area or at business establishments must obtain a solicitor permit.

Winter Overnight Parking Permits
Overnight parking is prohibited on all city streets Nov. 1 through April 15 between 2 a.m. and 6 a.m. A special permit to park on the street may be issued in limited situations if there is a hardship. To apply for permit review, which costs $25, a completed application must be submitted. 

Completed applications can be dropped off at Parma City Hall, Safety Department or mailed to:

Parma City Hall
Safety Department
6611 Ridge Road
Parma, Ohio 44129

Office Hours: 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., Monday through Friday


Parma City Hall
6611 Ridge Road


8:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. 

Quick Links

Police Department 

Do Not Knock

Safe Exchange Zone

School Zone Photo Enforcement

School Zone Lighting Schedule


Related Links

Safety Job Postings

County Prosecutor’s Security Camera Mapping Project