You are here: Home > News 

Smallwood Center to receive two specialty vehicles

10/8/2013 Download PDF 

October 7, 2013

Contact: Jeannie Roberts
(440) 885-8181

Smallwood Center to receive two specialty vehicles

PARMA, Ohio -- Parma’s Smallwood Activities Center will soon be the recipient of two new vehicles, both obtained without cost to the Center.

Through a grant from Ohio’s Specialized Transportation Program, the Center will receive a light transit narrow body vehicle. The grant for this vehicle was arranged by the Northeast Ohio Areawide Coordinating Agency (NOACA) and pays for 80% of the cost of the vehicle. The remaining 20% will be paid by the Parma Commission on Aging.

“We take advantage of grants wherever we can, and this vehicle will be a great addition to the Smallwood Center,” said Mayor Tim DeGeeter.

A light transit narrow body vehicle enables a driver to navigate narrow streets and corners more easily. The bus will hold 11 passengers. After specifications, such as non-skid strips, are arranged through the Smallwood Center, the bus will be constructed and delivered to the Center. It is estimated that the Center would take delivery of the van by next spring.

Sooner than that, within the next month, the Center will receive a 2008 GMC Envoy, which is being donated by local businessman Barry Axelrod, owner of Axelrod Buick GMC. That vehicle is being prepared for delivery.

“We’re thrilled and so grateful for the assistance we’ll get from both of these vehicles,” said Jo Ann Mason, Director of the Smallwood Activities Center. “And now that budgets are tighter than ever, we’re extremely grateful to get these without cost.”

Added Mayor DeGeeter: “It’s always satisfying to work with and recognize the great contributions that our local businessmen make to the community. We’re grateful to Barry Axelrod for helping us make this happen.”